Skip to main content

List of Idioms You Must Know for IELTS Speaking Section

IELTS Speaking Section has a different kind of evaluation when compared to the rest of the sections. Most of the test takers reviewed that the speaking section is the most difficult one to score. To score more in the IELTS Speaking section, here are some of our expert tips along with the list of idioms for the IELTS Speaking section.

List of Idioms You Must Know for IELTS Speaking Section – GT Prep

Top7 idioms for the IELTS Speaking section:

Here are the top 7 idioms to use in the speaking section of IELTS.

1.     I Hit the Roof

Meaning – To get upset or to get angry

Example:

Question – What is your favorite hobby as a child?

Answer: As a child, my hobby was always drawing. I used to draw animals and cartoons. One day though, my dad accidentally spilled coffee over my drawing. I hit the roof but luckily there wasn’t much damage.

2.     To be like a dog with two tails

Meaning – It is an expression of happiness. A happy dog will have a wiggling tail that just looks like two tails.

Question: What is the best gift you have received to date?

Answer: Being a younger child in the family, I get a lot of gifts. But the best one to date is my first bike from my elder brother. The moment he brought it to the house I was like a dog with two tails.

[Read more: Tips to Solve IELTS Speaking Cue Cards]

3.     Blind as a bat

Meaning: Not able to see, Bad eyesight

Example:

Question: What is the thing you would change if you got a chance to go back in time?

Answer: If I was given a chance to go back in time, I would like to be more health-conscious and even maintain my eyesight as I am a blind as a bat now.

4.     To be over the moon

Meaning: Very happy or extremely delighted

Example:

Question: Share one of your happiest memory

Answer: My happiest memory is the day I got engaged. I was literally over the moon when my husband proposed to me in front of our entire family.

[Read more: Is Band 8 achievable in IELTS Test?]

5.     To be on cloud nine

Meaning: Very happy or joyful

Example:

Question: Share one of your happiest memory

Answer: My happiest memory is the day I got engaged. I was literally on cloud 9 when my husband proposed to me in front of our entire family.

6.     It drives me up the wall

Meaning: very annoying

Example:

Question: What is the one thing you want to change in your neighborhood?

Answer: I grew up in the countryside and have a special connection with everyone in my neighborhood. But the place where I am living now is a city and nobody talks to each other. It drives me up the wall when someone doesn’t even give a smile back as a reply.

7.     Drop in the ocean

Meaning: very small in a big thing

Example:

Question: Do you make any charity work?

Answer: Yes. But I won’t say I donate so much. It’s just a drop in the ocean. I set aside 15% of my salary to pay for the needs of a child I know, who cannot support himself.

As a part of IELTS Speaking preparation tips, learning Idioms is very important. Always be careful while using idioms in IELTS Speaking. It is ok not to use it when you are not sure about the meaning of that. It is better not to use them rather than using them in the wrong way. Hence practice is mandatory to master the usage of idioms in the IELTS Speaking section.

For expert tips, reach out to our IELTS Training classes.

Check the Below IELTS Training Video:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can You Use a Calculator on the GMAT Test?

  The answer for the biggest question for most of the GMAT test takers- “Can I use a calculator on the GMAT Test?” is both yes and no. Keep reading to clear all your queries on the calculator usage in GMAT along with the tips to survive without a calculator on the GMAT test. Is Calculator allowed on GMAT Test? GMAT test has Quantitative and Integrated reasoning sections, where no calculator is allowed in the Quantitative section and an on-screen calculator will be available for the integrated reasoning section. So, no physical calculator can be allowed on the GMAT test day. How can I solve GMAT Quant without a calculator? To be frank, the GMAT Quant section does not need any calculator. The test is designed in a way that no complex mathematic problems that take much time for calculations, or which need a calculator, will be asked in the GMAT Quant section. So, you can be cool about it. For Integrated reasoning, an on-screen calculator will be allowed to use. So make use of th

Top professional advice to pass the Duolingo English Test

  Introduction:   The Duolingo English Test (DET) is a standardized test of English language proficiency that is accepted by universities and other institutions around the world. The DET is a computer-based test that assesses your reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills.     The DET is scored on a scale of 10 to 160, with a higher score indicating a higher level of English proficiency . A score of 120 or higher is generally considered to be a good score.   The DET is a relatively new test, but it has quickly become a popular choice for students who are looking for a convenient and affordable way to demonstrate their English language skills.   Here are some best expert tips for the Duolingo English Test to help you succeed:   1. Become familiar with the test's structure and subject matter.   The best way to prepare for the D uolingo Tes t is to familiarize yourself with the test format and content. You can do this by taking practice tests and reading study materials.  

How to Solve GMAT Terminating and Repeating Decimals?

Solving decimals can be the trickiest part of the GMAT Math. But to reach the perfect score, one needs to master even the tricky parts. If decimals are bothering you, here are some shortcuts and tricks to solve GMAT Terminating and Repeating Decimals. Before heading to the shortcuts first understand decimals and their types. Rational Numbers:  A rational number is nothing but the ratio of two integers. Integers are the set of positive and negative whole numbers including zero. It means, {……, -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4.....}. So the ratio of two integers gives a rational number. Rational numbers include all fractions along with integers because 4/1=4. Decimals from rational numbers: Let us understand the basics of decimals once again. When a decimal is made out of a fraction, it either terminates or repeats. Only these chances are there for decimals. Understand the concept of fractions to  score more in the GMAT Math section . Terminating decimals means, ½ =0.5 1/8 = 0.125